Asymptomatic Testing Update
The RI DOH has dispatched the Disaster Medical Assistance Team to Block Island to test asymptomatic individuals for COVID-19. Testing is prioritized for high-contact individuals such as service industry employees and those who live in communal housing.
The team will be here on Tuesdays and Thursdays administering tests at the Block Island Fire and Rescue Barn, 10 Beach Avenue.
Sign up for the test must be done online at the DOH portal.
The schedule is available 5 days before the test date; if you want a test on Tuesday, July 14, the schedule will be posted tomorrow, July 9th.
The schedule for Thursday, July 16, will open on Saturday, June 11th, and so on.
Scheduling closes at 3 PM the day before the test date, e.g. if you would like a test on Tuesday, the schedule closes Monday at 3). The registration process takes about 10 minutes. If you have insurance, please have your plan name, ID number and subscriber information available.
There is no charge for the test.
Symptomatic individuals should call the Medical Center to make an appointment. Symptoms may appear 2-14 days after exposure and include the following:
- Fever or chills
- Shortness of breath or difficulty breathing
- New loss of taste or smell
Please call the front desk to schedule an appointment: (401) 466-2974 ext. 3
Walk-up appointments are not available at the Medical Center or at the DOH site.
Anyone with symptoms or waiting for test results should quarantine for 14 days or until cleared by the DOH or their primary care provider.
The Medical Center will continue to post public health updates as new information becomes available. Please take care; if possible, stay home, minimize your contact with others and remember to follow the guidance to mitigate the spread of COVID-19:
- Wear a mask in public
- Social Distance (6 feet or more)
- Wash hands frequently and avoid touching the face
- Monitor your health
We are all in this together, if you have questions or need assistance, please call the Medical Center or consider these additional resources:
RI's Department of Health has information on services to help during this crisis.
Mental and Behavioral Health Resources 24/7 Crisis Lines
- BH Link Tel: 401-414-5465 • Location: People can also introduce in person to 975 Waterman Ave, East Providence, RI 02914
- Kids' Link RI (specifically for children and adolescents) • Tel: 1-855-543-5465
- Disaster Helpline • Tel: 1-800-985-5990
- Community Care Alliance • Tel: 401-235-7120
- Gateway Healthcare • Tel: 401-723-1915 or 401-553-1031
- Newport County Mental Health Center • Tel: 401-846-1213
- The Providence Center • Tel: 401-274-7111
- Thrive Behavioral Health • Tel: 401-738-4300
- Safe call now (for first responders and their families) • Tel: 1-206-459-3020 24/7
Lines of text
- TalkWithUs Text at 66746
- Send CONNECT text to 741741
- BLUE Text to 741741 (law enforcement only) 24/7
Suicide prevention lines
- National Suicide Prevention Line: 1-800-273-8255