The State of Rhode Island will be holding a special election on Tuesday, March 2, 2021. In addition to several Town of New Shoreham questions regarding changes to the Home Rule Charter, there are seven statewide referendum questions for voters to consider.
The seven state questions ask voters to approve or reject the issuance of general obligation bonds for:
1. Higher education facilities - $107,300,000
2. Beach, clean water and green bond - $74,000,000
3. Housing and community opportunity - $65,000,000
4. Transportation infrastructure state match - $71,700,000
5. Early childhood care and education capital fund $15,000,000
6. Cultural arts and the economy grant program and state preservation grants program - $7,000,000
7. Industrial facilities infrastructure - $60,000,000
Early voting is currently taking place at Town Hall between the hours of 9 a.m. and 3 p.m., Monday through Friday.
On election day, March 2, voting will take place at the Block Island School Gymnasium from 9 a.m. to 8 p.m.
Voters must bring identification, wear a mask and practice social distancing.