On The Block
Common Ground Coffeehouse
Common Ground Coffeehouse will present folksinger John Fuzek on Friday, May 4, at 7 p.m. Fuzek will sing classic covers and original songs that range from personal stories to Rhode Island history to social justice songs. John is a funny guy with a huge beard, known for producing several annual festivals and writing the "Roots Report" for Motif magazine. A complimentary supper is served beginning at 6:30. Donations are encouraged for the musician.
Island Free Library Events
- Fun activities after school every Friday at the Island Free Library at 1 p.m. A different activity every week: Legos, arts and crafts, board games, and STEM projects.- Join us for 641 Cookbook Club: Bring your favorite recipe celebrating Cinco de Mayo or the Kentucky Derby and share it on Wednesday, May 9 at 6 p.m. Then enjoy an evening of sharing, good food, and great conversation. All are welcome. Call the library or stop by to register at (401) 466-3233.
- Friday, May 4 from 5 to 7 p.m.: After Hours at the Underground-Wii, Computers, Music, Snacks. (Grades six through 12.)
- Saturday, May 5: Movie Matinee at 1 p.m. “Peter Rabbit”
- The Library will be hosting the Saturday events of NAMI BI’s Second Annual Spring Conference on Saturday, May 19. (The conference starts Friday, May 18 at Harbor Church). Details of the conference will be posted.
- The Library will be showing a series of films during the month of May every Thursday at 7 p.m. May 10: “The Perks of Being a Wallflower”; May 17: “Inside Out”; May 24: “Infinitely Polar Bear”; May 31: “Lars and The Real Girl.”
Lunch Bunch is every Tuesday at 12:30 p.m. at the Community Center.
The Hurricanes Girls Varsity Softball team will have home games on Saturday, May 12, 12:30 p.m. at Heinz Field. The Varsity Baseball team has a home game May 15, 12:30 p.m. Come show your support. Go Hurricanes!
Not New Boutique
Spring is here. Time to clean out your closets. Accepting donations of good, clean used clothing, shoes, hats, and belts starting Tuesday, May 1. Items may be dropped off at the St. Andrew Parish Center, Spring Street (lower level box). Opening sale is Saturday, June 9. Then every Wednesday starting June 20 throughout the summer.
Shad Bloom Run
The Run starts at the Block Island School off High Street at 1 p.m. Registration costs $25 per person. Sign up in advance and view the course by visiting active.com. If you have questions, call Dave or Cindy at the Recreation Department at (401) 466-3223. The race runs rain or shine; Saturday, May 12. However, in the event of a ferry cancellation, the date will be moved to the next day, Saturday, May 13.
Mental Health Conference
National Alliance for Mental Illness-Block Island will present its second annual Mental Health Month Conference on Friday and Saturday, May 18 and 19. The theme is "Depression: A Community Conversation, What do we know? What can we do?" On Friday night, Common Ground Coffeehouse will kick off the event with a supper and the showing of the film of a one-man show called "Every Brilliant Thing," followed by discussion and music by Ed McGuirl. On Saturday, the conference will be held at Island Free Library, with breakfast at 9:30 a.m. and four presentations through the day. It will conclude with a Community Roundtable at 3:30 p.m. including Dr. Mark Clark, Maryann Seebeck, Tracy Fredericks, and others. All events are free and open to the public.